I MILKED A COW!!! Now who can claim that?!? I now can! It was not easy task you see... Darren, Allison and Curtis' brother, invited me to do chores with him. I was ecstatic. We head to the sun room where we suited up in full body gear, with flannel jackets, work suit, hat, gloves and boots! We walk outside through the freezing negative degrees trek to the barn. We situate the cow and I thought, "Oh no problem, all you have to do is squeeze to get the milk out!" I was very wrong. Darren gets to do this every night, so having so much practice I knew I could be a good as him in no time! Nope. We were milking on either side... I start out... First squeeze... nothin'. "Darren, how in the world do you do this?" He shows me and easily gets the milk out. Second squeeze... definitely nothing I think I hurt the poor cow because of all the squashing with no milk coming out. He'd show me time and time again how to push down the milk from the bag and then squirt. I got one squirt! Oh I was making progress. Trial and error, with his patience I somewhat understood what had to be done to get the milk out. After somewhat catching on here comes the second problem:Gettting the milk in the bucket. Hmm... A bucket only 7 inches down... how could it be so hard to aim squirting milk? Oh it was. I missed almost every time. I'll never forget it though! I hope to get more practice in before I own a cow of my own!
The night continued with some tasty Elk Burgers. Mmmmm! It was definitely a night of firsts. I love it. I even might like it more than beef. We made our own patties with cute pregnant Allison sitting next to us, making conversation, but trying her heart out to not throw up. We finished up the night with chatting by the spectacular 20 foot Christmas tree and 13 rounds of my favorite game: 5 Crowns!
Oh Megan!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love your stories; I'm so glad you had a similar delima with getting the milk to come out and then getting it in the bucket. By the time I was done my roommate and I had cow milk all over each other. Originally due to lack of skill and later from just being silly. You should practice hitting the cats as they run nearby the cow! I'm glad you are so cool and such a good friend!